Comstock Reports Positive Metallurgical Test Results for its Preview Project, Saskatchewan
Vancouver, BC – January 23, 2018 – Comstock Metals Ltd. (TSX-V: CSL) (“Comstock” or the “Company”) is pleased to report on metallurgical test work recently completed on sample materials from the Preview SW deposit. Test work has been completed at ALS Metallurgy of Kamloops B.C., in December 2017 under the direction of Jeffrey B. Austin, P.Eng and is a follow-up to previous testing completed in 20131. Test work in 2017 was focused on better defining the quality of gravity and flotation concentrates that are expected from the Preview project materials and providing preliminary test results for cyanide leaching of flotation concentrate.
- Combined gold recovery for both gravity and bulk flotation processes in the current test work is estimated at 82 percent for zone 103 and 89 percent for zone 104 and compares well with the previous metallurgical results of 2013.
- Cyanide leaching of flotation concentrates indicated that in excess of 98 percent of the gold contained in flotation concentrates could be extracted using industry standard cyanide leaching conditions.
This test work better defines the potential processing options for the Preview project and indicates that gold recovery using gravity, flotation and concentrate leaching is possible. As well, flotation concentrates are shown to have sufficient quality to warrant evaluating the off-site processing alternatives of these concentrates in order to potentially simplify on-site processing. Optimization work is still required for the metallurgical process at Preview, but no significant metallurgical issues related to gold recovery have been identified from the work to date.
The Company is planning to conduct initial metallurgical testing on samples from the North Zone, located 2.5 km northeast of the Preview SW deposit where multiple high-grade gold zones were intersected in 2017 drilling (see September 28, 2017 news release).
Two composite samples of drill core from representative domains within the Preview SW deposit were assembled for testing and sample characterization (see Table 1). Approximately 179 kilograms of sample material was made available for test work. The large sample size was needed to generate meaningful concentrate samples for testing purposes.
Table 1: Summary of Metallurgical Test Samples
|Sample Name||Drilling Intercept||Au||S||Fe|
|Zone 103 2017||Hole 12-120 34.8m to 51.6m||4.26||0.40||2.9|
|Zone 104 2017||Hole 12-120 69.8m to 95.0m||1.59||0.21||3.5|
Gravity concentration and bulk flotation test results for the Zone 103 and Zone 104 composites is presented below in Table 2 and 3, respectively.
Table 2 - Summary of Gravity Concentration Test Results
|Sample Name||Pan Concentrate||Au grade of Concentrate (g/t)||Au Recovery to Gravity Concentrate (%)|
|Zone 103 2017||0.01||881||6|
|Zone 104 2017||0.02||1536||29|
Table 3 - Summary of Bulk Flotation Test Results
|Sample Name||Mass percent (%)||Au grade of Bulk Flotation Concentrate (g/t)||Au Rec. to Flotation Concentrate (%)|
|Zone 103 2017||2.5||23.6||76|
|Zone 104 2017||3.6||43.6||60|
A general flowsheet outlining the metallurgical testing stages for the Preview SW deposit is shown in the diagram below.
Jeffrey B. Austin, P.Eng., Qualified Person as defined by National Instrument 43-101, supervised the metallurgical test work completed at ALS Metallurgy, and prepared this news release. David A. Terry, Ph.D., P.Geo., a Qualified Person as defined by National Instrument 43-101, and an Officer and Director of Comstock, has reviewed and approved the scientific and technical disclosure in this news release.
About Comstock Metals Ltd.
Comstock Metals Ltd. is a Canadian-focussed mineral exploration company with two 100% owned resource-stage gold projects.
- Preview SW Gold Project, Saskatchewan: The Company’s road accessible Preview SW gold project is located 40 km north of La Ronge, Saskatchewan and 80 km southwest of Silver Standard Resources Inc.’s Seabee gold mine. The main Preview SW deposit hosts a NI 43-101 Resource Estimate (see Comstock’s news release dated September 14, 2016) which includes Indicated resources containing 158,300 ounces of gold (2.61 million tonnes grading 1.89 g/t Au) and Inferred resources containing 270,800 ounces of gold (5.70 million tonnes grading 1.48 g/t Au), both based on a 0.50 g/t Au cut-off grade. The main Preview SW deposit is comprised of several sub-parallel northeast-trending gold-bearing quartz-sulphide mineralized structural zones, 550 m in strike length and totalling 150 m in width. Preliminary metallurgical test work indicates total gold recovery in concentrates ranged from 90% to 93%. In addition, there are six additional known gold zones on the 853 ha property with only limited drilling. At the Preview North zone, located 2.6 km northeast of the Preview SW deposit, drill hole PR13-163 intersected: 17.98 g/t Au over 5.71 m starting at 10 m below surface, 5.96 g/t Au over 5.66 m starting at 19 m below surface and, 1.88 g/t Au over 21.26 m starting at 29 m below surface. Based on 2017 drilling with oriented drill core true thickness is interpreted to be approximately 85% of drilled width.
- QV Gold Project, Yukon: The +16,000 hectare QV Property is located in the White Gold district of the Yukon Territory, approximately 70 kilometres south of Dawson City and 44 kilometres northeast of the Coffee project of Goldcorp Inc., which it acquired through an acquisition of Kaminak Gold Corporation. To date, the Company has completed 3,400 m of core drilling in 17 drill holes which formed the basis for a maiden Inferred mineral resource totalling 4.4 million tonnes grading 1.65 g/t gold containing 230,000 ounces of gold at a 0.5 g/t gold cut-off (See Comstock’s news release dated July 8, 2014). The VG deposit remains open to expansion and is proximal to other untested sub-parallel structures. The VG zone has similar geology and style of mineralization to Kinross’s Golden Saddle deposit, located 11 kilometres to the south. Additional promising targets exist on the QV Project, with potential for the discovery of significant intrusion related and/or orogenic gold mineralization. The infrastructure associated with the development of the Coffee project, including upgrading and completion of the mine access road, will benefit all projects in the district, including the QV Property.
- Additional Assets: Comstock also owns the early stage Old Cabin gold project in Ontario and uranium claims in the Patterson Lake area of Saskatchewan and has optioned out its Corona property in Mexico (see Comstock’s news release dated January 28, 2016).
Forward Looking Statements
This news release includes forward-looking information and statements, which may include, but are not limited to, information and statements regarding or inferring the future business, operations, financial performance, prospects, and other plans, intentions, expectations, estimates, and beliefs of the Company. Information and statements which are not purely historical fact are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking information and statements involve and are subject to assumptions and known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other factors which may cause actual events, results, performance, or achievements of the Company to be materially different from future events, results, performance, and achievements expressed or implied by forward-looking information and statements herein. Although the Company believes that any forward-looking information and statements herein are reasonable, in light of the use of assumptions and the significant risks and uncertainties inherent in such information and statements, there can be no assurance that any such forward-looking information and statements will prove to be accurate, and accordingly readers are advised to rely on their own evaluation of such risks and uncertainties and should not place undue reliance upon such forward-looking information and statements. Any forward-looking information and statements herein are made as of the date hereof, and except as required by applicable laws, the Company assumes no obligation and disclaims any intention to update or revise any forward-looking information and statements herein or to update the reasons that actual events or results could or do differ from those projected in any forward looking information and statements herein, whether as a result of new information, future events or results, or otherwise, except as required by applicable laws.
For more information about Comstock Metals Ltd., please visit www.comstock-metals.com or contact:
David A Terry, Ph.D., P.Geo.
President, CEO and Director
COMSTOCK METALS LTD.
Phone: (604) 639-4533
Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this Release.